This week, I was planning to head to the Freeskiing World Tour Qualifier at Moonlight Basin but due to lack of snow on the venue it's been postponed until March. So instead I packed up my car with my new Volkl babies (Zoey knew she wasn't invited but still made an effort to come) and vroomed to Aspen for X Games to watch spanner Segal slay the women's slopestyle.
X Games is a strange beast. The opportunity that X games presents to freeskiers and snowboarding is amazing, especially as the level of riding gets better and better each year. But it's also a massive circus of sponsorship, scaffolding and fans. Despite that I love to be involved, especially to watch the progression of female skiing each year.
This year the Female ski Slopestyle was held on Australia Day- a perfect excuse to dress up.

I spent the start of the week down at Buttermilk, checking out the events, watching riders throw down and attempting to stay warm at the bottom of the super pipe.







papa segal and I getting our tattoo on.
tori getting her xtreme on
I spent the start of the week down at Buttermilk, checking out the events, watching riders throw down and attempting to stay warm at the bottom of the super pipe.
Dad and Sue getting ready to watch Women's Slopestyle finals
X Games Superpipe
I was beyond stoked to watch Spanner throw down in the Slopestyle finals- not only did she get tech on the rails but she also tried her first right 720. She took out 3rd place behind Devin Logan and Kaya Turski. Big ups to all the girls in slope and pipe, they raised the bar!
Women's Slopestyle Podium
Enthusiastic spectators at Men Slope finals ( it was a mad show)
It's still Australia Day
After the first day of X, I was ready to go skiing. Lucky it snowed 4 inches on Wednesday, just enough for early freshies at Ajax.

snooow.
I was lucky enough to ride with an awesome crew on Thursday morning- Tori, Nick, Schinka and I. We got an early gondala at 8:30 for some groomer freshies and then hit up the trees for the rest of the morning.


Bump smashing team.
It's been an awesome week. Definitely a highlight of the season- I got a bit of everything, pow, friends, competitions and we even went on a shred mission to hike Highlands bowl.




No comments:
Post a Comment