Saturday, February 18, 2012

Nelson, BC

Oh yaar. You know when you're in Canada when everyone starts sounding like pirates. Luckily I am hanging out with a little gaggle of Australian's so I don't feel so left out.

Nick, Watkin and Oscar aren't a bad pack of kids to be going on adventure with. I have known them for long enough that they will call me out on my bullshit and I can tell them to piss off. We're all friends.

So starting where we left off, I spent some quality time in Denver airport and finally made it to Spokane, WA at 11pm.

i got pretty creative at the airport.......

While I was in Denver, Nick, Watkin and Oscar spent some quality time at the bar, getting to know the local beers. After picking me up, Nick took the challenge and charged back to Nelson with us in his van (that I have named Shirley). The boarder crossing was all good, the deers as big as moose were a little more scary. However we made it safely to Nick's house by 3am - even though the road began to look like this:

road into Trail.

I am not going to lie, I was pretty cranky the next morning. But we woke up, ate breakfast and got to work on a crusty slope below Whitewater that led us up to Evening Ridge for the first shred of the trip.

nom nom nom

Nick and Oscar taking care of breakfast

Watkin taking care of lunch

struggle town

The first hike was a bit of fun, we never really found a set skin track, so we made one for ourselves through the crust and ice. Watkin had recycled some older skins in an attempt to fit is fatter skis. Let's just say he boot-packed most of the hike and bought some new skins that afternoon. After about 2 hrs we made our way down through the crusty bumps. Apparently Nick and Watkin got face shots- I wasn't so lucky.

The last two days we've spent at Whitewater, shredding the big one. It's super fun to ski a different type of terrain. There have been many tight turns, pillow drops and steep long pitches. With only 3 chairlifts, Whitewater still produces the goods.

ontop of trash shoots- 1st day out was nice and sunny

team

meee.

resort skiing is fun

Today was amazing, we got 15cm of fresh overnight- everything was revamped and ready to go.

Although the resort has been awesome, tomorrow we are heading out of Nelson for a little hut trip to Huckleberry Hut for 3 nights. All I can say is the food will be delicious, the skiing even better and interesting moment numerous.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you made it across the border! (See I told you no DUI and you are good!) So jealous! Have Fun!

    ReplyDelete